This site is not sponsored or endorsed by, or affiliated with, Autodesk, Inc.



Tuesday, 6 April 2010

Introduction for new blog viewers

Hey all,

Thanks to Gregory Arkin over at Bimboom, Join the REVITlution,(http://bimboom.blogspot.com/) for reposting one of my tutorials on his blog, my following has doubled in one day and my site hits went from a high of 34 views a day to over 200. Thanks Gregory!

I also thought that I'd need to re-explain my theory concept and how my blog works otherwise you'll have to go to one of my first posting to figure out what's going on. Due to Blogger always putting the last post at the top it may look like the chapters are backwards. In most case I'll take one detail at a time and split it into 2-3 subchapters, the 1st subchapter will always be breaking down the detail and analysis, this will be followed by a video tutorial and there may also be a 3rd subchapter on advanced modelling or 2D work. I recommend that you read the Analysis text blog 1st before watching the video (it will make more sense of the video and some of my assumptions) Below is my breaking down the detail theory.


Take an existing cad drawing or a quick sketch on butter paper or scrap paper etc. After you sketch your detail up, you then work with a simple 5 column table (which can also be a sketch).


1st step - Draw detail and annotate it
2nd step - Mark a number beside each annotation on your sketch
3rd step - Fill out table

Table
Column 1 - #
This is the number that links the number on the table with the number on your detail.
Column 2 - Brief description
Write a brief description of the object
Column 3 - 2D/3D
Review the brief description and consider wheather you think you should model it or draft it. if the object will be seen in more than one view type it should probably be modeled.
Column 4 - Modeling type
Decide what revit tool you will use to create the proposed component, is it a floor or a wall or a custom generic model family, etc.
Column 5 - Family type
After you decide the method of modeiling then figure out what family type within that revit tool your going to use, this also help you decide if you need to create a new family that is not already in your model or template.

2 comments:

sun shades said...

Hello sir,
I think your plan is fine,but not clear the hand written figure.
it will be better if you place a computer printed figure by replace hand written.solar shades,sun shade

Peter McCarthy said...

thanks for the comments sun shades, the concept i'm trying to push is that you dont need a finished autocad drawing or computerised list before you start in revit(which is usually the pre-misconception), my way is you sketch out a drawing free hand when you need too and have a quick hand written list on a scrap piece of paper to get you started.

I'll try make my hand writing as legiable as possible in the future so you can follow along.

Cheers

Pete